Good article about the thinking of a marriage therapist who has practiced over 40 years. Some observations by him:
- He emphasizes what each person contributes to the marriage;
- Takes time to determine if a marriage will last;
- Big mistake to gang up on someone;
- I do give “homework” especially to increase intimacy;
- I can tell if therapy is working if they are making progress in their relationship. Then I ask them.
- Two or three chronic problems don’t ever go away. Learn to live with them.
Sounds like good conclusions after forty years.Seems very basic. But they are also true.
… “What a Marriage Therapist Really Thinks? Wall Street Journal (April 5, 2016).